What is Low Testosterone? Testosterone is a very important hormone in the body of males and so, ensuring that it is always optimum is worthwhile. It is a member of the group of hormones known as androgen. Majority of this hormone is produced in sex organs like the testes while some are produced by the adrenal gland.
There are three types of testosterone and they are;
- Free testosterone: this type of testosterone is called free because it is not bound with any protein. They are the smallest type of the testosterone and are mainly used to repair body parts and help make the body remain fit and healthy.
- Sex hormone-binding globulin testosterone: sex hormone-binding globulin is a protein that binds to and transports sex hormones. When these proteins are combined with testosterone which is a sex hormone, the hormone becomes inactive and cannot be assessed by the body even when it is needed. The level of this type of hormone affects the number of free testosterone available for our body’s use. This type is normally lowered to increase the number of free hormones which are needed for reproduction and other functions.
- Albumin –bound testosterone: albumin produced by the liver also combines with testosterone and this also reduces the amount of free testosterone available for the body. This type of testosterone like sex hormone-binding globulin, are inactive but the albumin can be easily detached from the testosterone, thereby increasing the number of free testosterone.
WHEN IS SOMEONE SAID TO HAVE LOW TESTOSTERONE LEVEL?
- Low testosterone level is also known as hypogonadism. It occurs naturally in men as they age, but if it a young man is diagnosed to have low testosterone level, it becomes a health issue that leads to many unwanted problems. Some of the problems include reduced sex drive, erectile dysfunction, fatigue, reduced bone mass, depression, lack of focus, etc.
- But when is someone said to have low testosterone level? The normal level of testosterone in a healthy man is about 300 Nano grams per deciliter (ng/Dl). High testosterone level is said to occur when it is about 700 or 800 Nano grams per deciliter. This implies that if the testosterone level is less than 300 Nano grams per deciliter, it is known as hypogonadism (low testosterone level).