Take charge of your sex life
Erectile dysfunction is also known as impotence and is the inability to achieve and keep an erection firm enough and long enough to engage in a strong sex life. If erectile dysfunction occurs occasionally it may not be cause for alarm but if it occurs on a regular basis there could be a problem.
Erectile dysfunction can be either a physical problem, a mental problem, or a combination of both. However, there are treatment options for erectile dysfunction.
Some common problems stemming from erectile dysfunction are:
- Stress: Lack of sex can lead to stress which can affect all areas of life, including familial and career relationships. Stress is a dangerous condition in itself.
- Self-confidence: You may lose confidence in yourself because of sexual performance issues. Loss of self-confidence can affect all areas of your life.
- Performance anxiety: If erectile dysfunction is continuous, performance anxiety can lead to continuous non-performance and a lack of desire.
- Relationship problems: You may experience an unsatisfied partner due to lack of sex which can cause relationship problems.
- Reduced sex drive: Sex drive diminishes when sex is hard to achieve, you may consciously or subconsciously decide to not engage in sex because you cannot perform.
- Guilt: Inability to perform sexually may lead to guilt and a waning relationship.
- Embarrassment: You may be embarrassed when you cannot achieve an erection with your partner.
Conditions that may contribute to erectile dysfunction:
- Underlying health problems
- Drug, tobacco and alcohol use
- Prescription medications
- Heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, low testosterone
- Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Cancer
- Cancer treatments
Treatment options for erectile dysfunction:
- Oral medications such as Viagra, Levitra, Cialis
- Self-injections such as Alprostadil
- Penis suppositories (Muse)
- Penis pumps are vacuum devices that temporarily harden a flaccid penis
- Anti-depressants if you are depressed and this is the cause of your erectile dysfunction
- Testosterone treatments if your blood is drawn and you have low testosterone levels
- Medication for disease that may be an underlying cause of erectile dysfunction such as high blood pressure medication, diabetes medication, cholesterol medication
- Surgery, especially if there is nerve damage or arteries that can be reconstructed.
Erectile dysfunction once in a while may not be cause for concern and can happen to anyone. However, if it is consistent, and becomes a source of anguish for you or your partner then you should talk to your doctor. Before you let erectile dysfunction become a source of pain know that there are numerous treatment options for erectile dysfunction.
Many men are embarrassed to see a doctor for a condition such as erectile dysfunction but there is no need for embarrassment because erectile dysfunction is a common problem for some men. A complete health check will be necessary to determine if your erectile dysfunction condition is mental or physical. Once the cause is determined, with your doctor’s help you can figure out your treatments options for erectile dysfunction.
Listed above are the problems, conditions, and treatment options for erectile dysfunction but with the help from the medical community you can take charge of your sex life and conquer erectile dysfunction for good.